The Calypso, a design from Hanno Prettner was an exercise in simplifying the growing complexity of F3A aerobatic models. It is still a fantastic F3A aerobatic model that won the 1983 World RC Aerobatic Champs. Here's your chance to fly a retro version of the model.
The Calypso performs amazing aerobatic routines with a 60 size two stroke, 90 four stroke or 10cc petrol, or 5 cell electric motor.
We have re-engineered some aspects of the build to simplify construction, and better align with modern building practices. To accompany the modifications we have completely re-drawn the plan to match.
Also included is a vacuum formed cowling and canopy.
Model photo coming soon but enjoy the painting of its namesake by Jan Styka.
- Wingspan: 64" / 1625mm
- Number of channels: 5-6
- Recommended engine size: 60 two stroke, 91 four stroke or 5 cell electric equivalent.
- Includes full sized rolled plan.
Materials Required For Short Kit Airframe Completion:
(These materials are included in the Complete Airframe Kit)
- 1.5 x 100 x 915 Balsa Sheet x 1
- 2.0 x 100 x 915 Balsa Sheet x 3
- 2.5 x 100 x 915 Balsa Sheet x 12
- 12.5 x 32 x 915 Balsa Trailing Edge x 2
- 3.0 x 6.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 7
- 3.0 x 9.5 x 915 balsa Stick x 1
- 3.0 x 19 x 915 Balsa Stick x 2
- 6.5 x 6.5 x 915 Balsa Stick x 8
- 6.5 x 9.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 3
- 9.5 x 22 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 2
- 6.0 mm dowel x 300 x 1
- Preview the Plan
- View the Laser Cut Parts
- We have some artwork courtesy of Bob Petrie in the UK that replicates the original Calypso lettering - email us for a free pdf of each black and white lettering. See here for jpeg's of the artwork - White , black
Short Kit Or Complete Airframe Kit?
A Short Kit includes a full size printed plan and all of the laser cut parts that are required as part of the complete airframe build.
Items such as wing ribs, dihedral joiners, fuselage formers & fuselage parts, doublers, bulkheads and so on.
Every part which is a complex cut is precisely laser cut as per the plan and included in the short kit. Some kits may also include vacuum formed ABS parts like canopies or cowlings.
With a Short Kit, the only items you need to add to the laser cut parts to build a complete airframe are components which are simply cut to length. Parts such as wing spars, wing sheeting or fuselage sheeting for example.
A Complete Airframe Kit includes the Laser Cut Short Kit, plus the entire list of additional materials required to complete the airframe build.
Select this option when adding to your cart to purchase all of the materials required to complete the airframe build.
Every kit includes a full size printed plan, and where available the designers original construction notes. The kits do not include miscellaneous hardware such as pushrods, control horns, hinges, wheels etc.