Southerner 60" 30 Size Vintage
Originally produced by Keil Kraft, the Free Flight Southerner was first drawn up in early 1947, but it wasn't until the Mills 2.4 Diesel became popular that the design was revised and updated in 1949, with the result being a Mk II Souther 60" designed around the Mills 2.4 Diesel.
The wing can be built in a dihedral or polyhedral format. We have modified the original Free Flight design and included in our kitset an additional plan and laser cut parts for a new tailplane with elevators, and fin and rudder for RC use.
UK Customers - Please note that the short kit does not reach the £135 VAT border threshold and is therefore not available for purchase.
- Wingspan: 60" / 1524mm
- Number of channels: 3
- Recommended engine size: 30 two stroke or electric equivalent
- Includes full sized rolled plan and the original construction article
Materials Required For Short Kit Airframe Completion:
(These materials are included in the Complete Airframe Kit)
- 1.5 x 75 x 915 Balsa Sheet x 3
- 3.0 x 100 x 915 Balsa Sheet x 1
- 3.0 x 3.0 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 11
- 3.0 x 5.0 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 2
- 3.0 x 6.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 2
- 3.0 x 9.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 1
- 5.0 x 5.0 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 1
- 5.0 x 8.0 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 1
- 5.0 x 12.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 2
- 12.5 x 75 x 915 Balsa sheet x 1
- 6.5 x 9.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 3
- 9.5 x 12.5 x 915 Balsa Sticks x 2
- K&S Wire 1/16" x 18" x 1
- K&S Music Wire 3/32" x 36" x 1
- 9.5 x 12.5 Engine bearers x 350 long
Short Kit Or Complete Airframe Kit?
A Short Kit includes a full size printed plan and all of the laser cut parts that are required as part of the complete airframe build.
Items such as wing ribs, dihedral joiners, fuselage formers & fuselage parts, doublers, bulkheads and so on.
Every part which is a complex cut is precisely laser cut as per the plan and included in the short kit. Some kits may also include vacuum formed ABS parts like canopies or cowlings.
With a Short Kit, the only items you need to add to the laser cut parts to build a complete airframe are components which are simply cut to length. Parts such as wing spars, wing sheeting or fuselage sheeting for example.
A Complete Airframe Kit includes the Laser Cut Short Kit, plus the entire list of additional materials required to complete the airframe build.
Select this option when adding to your cart to purchase all of the materials required to complete the airframe build.
Every kit includes a full size printed plan, and where available the designers original construction notes. The kits do not include miscellaneous hardware such as pushrods, control horns, hinges, wheels etc.